Computers, smartphones and internet-connected gadgets have made our lives easier to the point where we'd be stuck without them. The flip side is the more we rely on them, the more data passes through them and potentially out of our control. Sadly, these devices are often poorly privacy protected, for example a 2016 study of Android devices showed a shocking 34% of users don't even have a passcode set!
But never fear — we're here to help you avoid being a scary statistic. We've compiled step-by-step guides to protecting your privacy on these devices:
We encourage you to go through the guides relevant for your devices for specific tips including screenshots, though regardless of device, here are some steps that everyone should take:
- Set a password or passcode.
- Encrypt your computer and phone.
- Don't use an admin account for daily use.
- Remove unneeded apps and extensions.
- Keep your devices up-to-date.
- Review which apps can access your personal data.
These steps are simple, quick, and yet go a long way to keeping your personal information safe and helping you sleep soundly at night.